Wednesday 26 April 2017

Responsive - Evaluation

For the most part I have really enjoyed responsive from a practical stand point. The concept of actively looking for live briefs to enter and work towards was, while frustrating, enjoyable because I could make the decision on which briefs I wanted to enter so that they would benefit me the most. What I wanted to get out of the competitions was a chance to grasp some form of understanding of software I wasn’t familiar with, such as Maya and After Effects, while also pushing the development of my character animation and design skills. I feel that to a certain degree I succeeded in doing this because, while I still cannot model or rig characters in 3D and After effects, I was able to successfully portray actions and behaviour in mediums that were far out of my comfort zone. I am mostly satisfied with the character animation in my 11 second club entries as I can see a clear difference in improvement in my later attempt. I found that there were also a lot of chances for me to collaborate with people such as Daniel Goodman making 3D models for me to animate with. This allowed me a great opportunity to characterise a non-human creature and Dan some practice with rigging.

Comparatively, I did enjoy the collaborative brief but didn’t feel it assisted me in further my character animation or performance, due to the content being portrayed. While it didn’t feel like I made any progress with my acting animation. I was able to use it as an opportunity to further my understanding of the after effects software. Working with the illustrators was interesting. I found myself, initially feeling left behind by their way of working since it became quite clear that the way an illustrator thinks and approaches a brief was quite different to how an animator might approach a brief. The illustrators were producing pages and pages of work, sketches and mock ups while I felt I wasn’t contributing enough at this stage. However, when the animating came I might have caused one of them to go a little mad as I got her to draw over a few frames which just left her frustrated but to be given the assets and the rule animate it, I found myself satisfied with the end result as it gave a very professional vibe and receiving the necessary components but not having made them myself felt like a very studio oriented action.

The general organization of the module however I don’t think went well. From the very beginning right through to the end it has felt like animation, when compared to graphics and illustration got either pushed to the side lines or forgotten about. A lot of this module felt like it catered to the requirements of Graphic Designers and Illustrators leaving animation to scrape together what it could. Much larger briefs, for example, are a lot more accessible for illustrators and graphics because the final executed product could be made in under a week while an animation takes a lot longer. There are also not that many large briefs out there for animation that are quick and easily accessible. The organization and requirements were constantly being changed or left till really late to be told certain things such as the art boards and studio brief 3 being briefed to us only a few days before the deadline, while illustration was briefed on it the art boards before the Easter break. I feel that if there was a little bit more awareness of the differences between animation compared to illustration and graphics. We are aware of their similarities which warrant our working together but like how I noticed it in studio brief 2, we work differently. I don’t feel we can be asked the same as the illustrators and graphics students and should have the brief feel more catered towards animation rather tan it being some tacked on.

Besides the rough and confusing organization I think that the overall concept of entering competitions is strong and should be kept and encouraged. The brief itself is an opportunity for us to get to know people from other courses as well as have people from outside the university see our work and assess it.

No comments:

Post a Comment