Tuesday 8 May 2018

Depth of story and art direction

The inspiration and context for the new direction and depth of story is taken from my own personal experience in life and with a person passing away. The specific scene was the airport scene where the character misses her plane and then finds out that even if she had caught the plane, she would not have seen her grandfather before he passed away. I took this from my own experience where something similar happened when I tried to visit my own grandma before she died and was unable to. The idea behind the scene was to show people that there are different ways of responding to this situation which is why instead of bursting into tears, the character internalised her feelings.
I wanted to carry the idea of not knowing how to respond to grief on throughout the animation. This is why the character seems lethargic and lost in thought in many of the scenes. The piano becomes a focus for her and her outlet, as it was a connection between her and her grandfather. The aim is to end the animation with a hopeful message that life goes on after a bereavement.

Drawing upon my own personal experiences, helped give the story avoid being shallow and gave the visuals meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment