Wednesday 7 October 2015

Telling Stories - Disney Aristocats Storyboards

As my project uses owl and cat characters i chose to look at films and storyboards which includes the two creatures. I started looking at the film aristocrats by Disney, an animated film i watched and enjoyed since i was a child, and looked at the extras of the dvd which had the art from the storyboards for the animated feature. The storyboards were done by Ken Anderson, Vance Gerry, Frank Thomas, Eric Cleworth, Julius Svendsen, Ralph Wright and Larry Clemmons who are storyboarders, concept artists and story writers.
These storyboards show various scenes from the movie and the characters in these storyboards aren't exact replicas of the final characters from the movie, they are simplified but get across the idea, details and the scene. As well as the scene the simple characters get across the expressions and emotions that they are trying to convey, these are clearly telling the animators what needs to be done and how they want it to be animated.
Ive noticed that compared to my story boards these storyboards photos have close to no directional arrows, in my own attempts at story boarding i have put multiple notes and arrows to help explain what is happening, (these storyboards of mine will be put up in a few days) in more refined drawings of my storyboards i am going to take the number of notes and arrows down to try and keep the story as obvious as possible.
Going back and watching the aristocats I saw things I didn't realise as a child I noticed how at all times there was something different moving all the time, this being the lines. I really liked seeing this in comparison to modern day animation as I love line drawings and illustrations it shows what had to be done to create the characters i.e duchesses' sketch below her body appears every so often showing the work that went into the animations.



No comments:

Post a Comment